Bullittsburg Baptist Church exists to provide people with an opportunity to encounter God through Jesus Christ and then grow to be more like Him. We promote the Gospel of Jesus Christ as revealed in the inspired and infallible Word of God. The Church is commissioned by Christ to maintain and to expand His Kingdom through the ongoing, spirit-led work of Evangelism, Missions, Bible Study, Worship, Prayer, and Fellowship.
Loving God. Loving People.
The Lord has blessed us with a great leadership team.
Jamie Thornsberry Senior Pastor
Bullittsburg Baptist Church was founded in June, 1794, by Elders John Taylor, Joseph Redding, and William Cave; and by seven charter members. In 1797 a log and frame structure was built on this site, and in 1819, the present structure was built at a cost of $1,850. The outdoor baptistry was built in 1873 by Bill Batterson.
Our pews were purchased in August, 1901, from the Excelsior Company of Cincinnati, Ohio, at a cost of $379. They were brought down river on a steamboat, then transported to the church by members with their horses and wagons.
Before 1826 several men, as they were ordained, served concurrently as pastor. In that year Robert Kirtley, from a pioneer Boone County family, became the sole pastor. He was succeeded by his son, and they served until 1898. From Robert Kirtley to the present, 21 men have served as pastor.
Bullittsburg is the mother church of Belleview, Sand Run, Burlington, and Petersburg Baptist Churches in Boone County, as well as other churches in Ohio and Indiana.